Monday, November 7, 2016

Pain + Work = A Good Day

Alright so the combination of pain and work to a normal man wouldn't be considered a "good day", but to a homeless guy trying to get off the streets... good day.

This morning I waited at Dunkin Donuts from the time they opened (5:30 am) until 11 am waiting on a call to work at the construction site. I got no call or text, so I went to the local soup kitchen which serves lunch at 11:30 am. Luckily I was able to get a pair of socks and jeans (the ones I had were very dirty and with a big hole in the back). After eating I went to the library.

When I walk my feet send me a stream of pain combined with itching that I've been able to resist. I decided to check my feet, and they looked worse than yesterday. Maybe I'm wrong and it isn't Plantar Fasciitis after all, I will need to do more research tomorrow.



I washed both feet and changed into the socks I got today, hoping it would make a difference. Maybe take some of the pain or itch away. I walked back to DD and noticed no change, same pain and itch. But on the other hand, it didn't get worse.

At 4 pm he walked into DD and said "let's get to work". I was happy and followed him. 2 hours of work, moving 30 cement mix bags at 80 lbs each.


2400 lbs lifted on a hand-truck and then lifted again to be placed where they were needed. It doubled the amount of pain I was already going through, but I didn't show it. There was no way for me to give the man who so kindly hired me, knowing that I'm homeless, a reason not to hire me again.

With a smile he told me he would need me Wednesday to just clean up the site, making it clear the job would then be over. I didn't ask for any more work, I will wait until the end of the day Wednesday to ask him if he can use me elsewhere.

I'm having some caramel ice coffee and some food at Dunkin Donuts while I blog. Thank god I've been able to work 2 weeks in a row, not a lot but enough to make me feel better about myself.

Tomorrow I'll probably make a new entry in my "Letters of my Life" blog. It's going to a bit nostalgic, writing about a time when I had a boss which was insane and at the same time fun to work for.

That is all for today.

May you walk in the light of God.

Sincerely.

Luis

No comments:

Post a Comment