Saturday, November 19, 2016

Charlie Horse

I woke up today at my spot at 5 am, and as soon as I tried to get up I got a charlie horse in my left leg. I've dealt with them before and knew exactly what to do. I relaxed the leg and held back a scream of pain that may have attracted unwanted attention.

Relaxing the leg helped a lot, and the pain was mostly gone in a few minutes. People have asked me where I sleep, and all I can say is that it's fairly safe away from other homeless, and out of view. Check it out.


Between the 3 walls and the small roof most nights my spot is fairly safe from wind and rain (unless it get really windy). Also because of the right wall that faces the street, it makes me very hard to see at night when I'm laying down. Rule #1 of being homeless, be invisible.

At 5:45 am I walked to Dunkin Donuts and helped in taking the tables and chairs outside like I do every morning. It gets me a bit of food that can hold me up until lunch time most days. I sat at my corner booth and worked on blogging.


You may ask "how does a homeless guy have a laptop?". Answer: I worked for it (I know 5 other homeless who also have laptops). 25 hrs of work in exchange for it to be exact. It happened a few months when I was still able to fly a sign that read "Looking For Work". Now it's impossible because Delray cops are cracking down on homeless flying signs or panhandling. I rather work than panhandle any day.


Back then a guy picked me up to do some miscellaneous work for him, paint a room, landscaping, moving stuff out of his garage into a storage room, etc. He had a laptop which he didn't need anymore and we made a deal for it.

It does have problem with the hard drive I believe, I have to reset it to get it working again once in a while. For the most part it's perfect for me. I've been able to download and watch movies, listening to Pandora or Spotify, look for work, blog and even get back in touch with an old ex (she found me on Facebook after 15 years).

Last night my friends at Starbucks hooked me up with a coffee and some chocolate covered popcorn (which was delicious).



Not sure if I've mentioned that my ex's husband (yeah still sounds weird) gave me a bike to help me move around after my feet get better. I got it locked next to DD. I got the seat, don't want it stolen since it's quick release.


She was going to pick me up Sunday so I could take a shower and get laundry done. The original plan was to drop me off Sunday night and then Wednesday pick me up again so I could stay overnight into Thursday, to celebrate Thanksgiving with them. I'm very grateful to her wonderful family that allowed me to stay a few days when I couldn't even stand without crutches.

Last night she changed the plan, instead I'll be picked up Sunday to stay an entire week. I'm getting more comfortable with her, but was not sure. She is complex, always was, to be honest. Always interesting, never boring, she is full of life and without a filter. When I was with her years ago, those traits were the reason why I had fallen in love with her. To me she was a "free spirit" and also my "fluff and fold chick" since at the time she worked at a Laundry service.

I asked Diana last night for advice, and she said "just go with it". So yeah, I'll be off the streets for a week and intend to enjoy it. When I was at her home, she mentioned that the outside of her home needed painting, so last night I mentioned it and offered to do it for them. Her answer "we'll see". I just want to do something in return for the kindness she and her family has shown me.

Oops! almost 9 am, I have to get to the church to get some food!

May you walk in the light of God.

Sincerely.

Luis

No comments:

Post a Comment