Friday, November 11, 2016

From a Hospital to a Sofa

Ok so here is what happened yesterday afternoon. At 4:30 pm I was getting ready to leave the Delray Beach library when I noticed I wasn't able to stand without holding on to something.

I could put my weight on my right foot and that is how slowly I made my way out of the library. Once outside I slowly lowered myself to the ground, then waited for the police officer that works inside the library to come out.

He was at the end of his shift, so he called another officer to help me. Within minutes there were 3 officers helping me. I explained the issue with my feet and called in for a transport to the nearest hospital.



Out of respect I didn't take their pictures. Once the ambulance showed up they were glad to see that they didn't have to deal with a drunk or drugged homeless person. They even said "you are the 1% of the 1% of people we pick up, rare to see someone like you in here". We spoke about the election during the 15 min ride to Bethesda Hospital.



Both paramedics were very nice, we even had a few laughs. They dropped me off and wished me well.



By the time I saw a doctor it was 7:30 pm. He told me it was just blisters, not athlete's foot or any infection. The way he was talking was as if I he wanted to get rid of me quickly. I was given 2 pills for the pain and a prescription for a cream for my feet. I had to sign papers agreeing to a $350 fee which I said I could not afford; I was told someone would talk to me to work things out.

Meanwhile my friend Kenny from Dunkin Donuts was texting me checking on me and I told him about me being at the hospital. At the same time my ex (which I mentioned in "Proudly in pain" post) was talking to me through FB Messenger.

When I told the nurse there was no way for me to walk out on my own, she said I would be given crutches. I calculated that on crutches it would take me 3-4 hours to get back to Delray Beach. I needed a ride. My ex offered to drive me and after some thinking I accepted. 15 minutes later Kenny texts me and offers me to pick me up as well.

My ex and her husband were already on their way, so I told Kenny about it and thanked him for the offer. If Kenny had offered first, I would have gone with him. I felt weird, accepting a ride from the woman I had been deeply in love with so many years ago. Not just that, it made it more weird that she was coming with her husband.

By the time I had signed my release papers it was about 8 pm. Nobody showed up to discuss the $350 that I could not afford, and I was given the crutches and told "you are good to go" making it clear that I needed to leave.

So there I was, sitting outside the emergency entrance of Bethesda Hospital waiting on my ex and a man I've never met in my life. Time was going so slow, that during the entire time I was waiting, the thought "this is a mistake" repeated over and over dozens of times.

I've learned to keep my expectations low from anyone that would offer me help in any way. I tried to walk around with the crutches while having my backpack on my back, holding the small bag of clothes and my bag of food. I realized that it would take me even longer to get back to Delray Beach. I'd have to take breaks during the walk; i was certain that it may be 5-6 hours before I got back to my spot and that the walk probably would hurt my feet further. I've had no choice than to wait for my ride.

She showed up with her husband, who was very friendly and caring. I was surprised but also cautious. Once she said that they needed to park to "talk to me" I knew something was up. I was in the back seat without any way out (not like I could run away). I remembered how good she was at getting her way.

They parked the car, then she offered me to be stay with them a few days, so my feet could heal. My thoughts were "no no no! get to your spot! safe there! don't trust!". Then her husband also joined in telling me he wanted to help me. I was tired, in pain and felt worn out. I could see that she cared about me; even thought I could not figure out why she would, after all these years.

I had to clear my head, feelings get in the way of survival. My heart wanted to get me the hell out of the car; my head was telling me to take the offer. Between both of them insisting and my head... I reluctantly agreed.

Keeping quiet in the back seat, I tried to keep my mind blank to keep my fears at bay. I entered their home and met her father and his wife. Back in the day I hadn't met him when we were together, only her mother who I remember was a good and kind woman.

I was able to take a shower and get a change of clothes to sleep in. I was given a healing cream that is specifically for feet. She wanted to do laundry to clean my clothes, I had no energy to argue about it, so I agreed. A sofa was ready for me to sleep. It didn't take long for me to fall asleep. Unbeknownst to me she took this picture.


She sent it to me this morning. Her comment was "you looked cute". I woke up, fell back to sleep and then woke up a second time at 9 am. She kindly made me breakfast and I used more of the healing cream, noticing that my feet were a bit better.

Most of my fear was gone, but was still cautious. About 2 hours later she asked me to go to her garage, showed me a bike which was going to be thrown out and offered it to me. I accepted, better I use it than having it thrown out.

My walls are still up emotionally, but I feel I can trust them for the time being. I didn't have time to update my "Letters of my Life" blog yesterday but I will find time today to post there.

Out of respect I won't show any pictures of her or her family (nor will I use their names).

I will post again tomorrow.

May you walk in the light of God.

Sincerely.

Luis

No comments:

Post a Comment