Saturday, November 5, 2016

A good Saturday

A little before 9 am today the guy who hired me Thursday for construction work walked into Dunkin Donuts, and asked me if I wanted to work 1-3 hours. I answered "Oh course!" excited and ended up working 2 1/2 hours with him. To regular people that may sound like a pittance, little work, low pay. To me, it's a blessing to even work 1 hour.

When people know you are homeless, they are at best hesitant and often turned off completely. They won't give me a chance. I can't blame them, there are plenty of homeless that would scam, steal and cheat an employer without a doubt.

I appreciate whenever someone gives me work, as long as it's honest legal work (for hard cash of course). I'm not afraid of hard work, I'm afraid of staying homeless for so long that I may get so used to it that I won't want to leave the streets. I've seen people who accept things as they are and no longer try to get off the streets, they just become content and get high or drunk and just exist instead of living.

After work I went to the Delray Beach Library to clean myself up a bit. I made sure to leave the restroom in good shape. I don't want to cause any trouble to library staff, they are nice people.
Another homeless guy that also knows Bob told me he had been hanging around a woman who is a known drunk. I started to put things together in my head. While I was with Bob I made sure nobody would take advantage of him and discouraged his drinking. I couldn't stop him from having a beer but I did notice that he drank less when I was with him.

She may have badmouthed me, turning Bob against me so she could take advantage of him. It's very possible, but I can only help to a point, after that the person needs to help himself/herself. I'm done with Bob, I hope the woman doesn't take everything.

He was supposed to meet me today to give me the clothes I had stored in his truck. He didn't call me so I decided to call him. He answered and claimed he was back in the hospital. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and told him to get better and that I'd call him next week to get my clothes. He said "Ok" and hung up.

I hope he isn't getting drunk somewhere. I checked Craigslist and no labor work near me that I can do unfortunaly. Still, a good Saturday.

May you walk in the light of God.

Sincerely.

Luis

No comments:

Post a Comment